Everyday on the CitizenTube channel (and @CitizenTube on Twitter), along with our curation partners @storyful, we look at how the top news stories are covered on YouTube. Each week we post a weekly recap of the top news stories of the week, as seen through the lens of both citizen-reported footage and professional news coverage.
- We saw record flooding in New South Wales and Northern Victoria force the evacuation of thousands from their homes in the region.
- We observed a high-ranking defection in the Syrian government, as deputy Oil Minister Abdo Hussameldin quit his post saying he could not go on "serving the crimes of this regime."
- We watched Vladimir Putin secure the presidency of Russia for a third time, amid heavy protests at alleged electoral fraud.
- We were pummeled by a geomagnetic storm of charged particles after two unusually large solar flares erupted from the sun.
- We followed the GOP candidates during one of the high points of the US campaign trail: Super Tuesday. Of the ten states on offer, Mitt Romney took six, Rick Santorum took three and Newt Gingrich took one.
- We watched protesters rally against possible military action in Iran, as Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu held talks with in Washington DC with President Barack Obama.
- We witnessed fast-moving twisters devastate America's heartland as homes, school buildings and as prison were destroyed by the powerful tornadoes.
- We marked International Women's Day with a variety of profiles, messages, and historical facts on women that were uploaded to YouTube for the occasion.
- And finally, we waited eagerly with the rest of the world to see what exactly Apple had up their sleeve at the unveiling of the new iPad.