Today we're excited to announce the official debut of YouTube for Mobile, featuring a new and improved mobile website, m.youtube.com! Until today, many of you who tried watching videos on m.youtube.com from your mobile phones may have longed to see a wider selection of videos and more community features that you've come to know and love on YouTube.com. Now you can, and here's what's changed:
- Millions of videos: YouTube for Mobile now features tens of millions of videos, which includes most of the videos already available on YouTube.com and your own uploaded videos.
- Community on the go: You can now access your YouTube account, your Favorites, your own uploaded Videos and your favorite Channels. You can also share, rate, and comment directly from the mobile website to other YouTube users.
- Mobile phone uploads available within moments: Now if you upload videos from your phone to YouTube via email/mms, they will appear within moments on both m.youtube.com and www.youtube.com. This means you can easily share videos you capture on your phone with your friends and family. All you need to do is create a mobile profile at www.youtube.com/mobile.
- Global: Global: YouTube for Mobile is available and localized for the UK, Italy, France, Spain, Netherlands, Poland, Brazil, Canada, Mexico, Australia, Hong Kong, Taiwan, New Zealand, Germany, and Russia.
As long as your phone and mobile operator support streaming video, anyone can access YouTube for Mobile simply by going to 'm.youtube.com' in their phone browser. There are a couple requirements for supporting YouTube for Mobile:
1. Your device has to support RTSP streaming. To determine if your mobile device supports this type of streaming, you may want to check your device's manual to find a description of its specifications.
2. Your service carrier has to allow streaming videos. You may want to contact your carrier for more information about the availability of data streaming on your mobile device.
In addition, we're also releasing a beta version of a YouTube for Mobile downloadable application. It's different from the YouTube for Mobile website (m.youtube.com) because it is a Java (J2ME) application you install on your phone, whereas m.youtube.com you access via your phone's web browser. The app is available in US and UK English and supports the following phones:
- Sony Ericsson k800, w880
- Nokia e65, n95, n73, 6110 navigator and 6120 classic
To download the app, simply point your phone browser to m.youtube.com and if your phone's one of the above, you should be prompted to download and install the application.
You may be wondering, "Is YouTube for Mobile the same as what's available on the Helio Ocean or Apple iPhone?" In a nutshell, yes -- YouTube for Mobile is all about bringing video to mobile phones. We believe in providing the best user experience possible for all users, which in some cases means different YouTube solutions for different phones. Overall, we're pretty excited about working with our partners and users to make YouTube for Mobile better and better over the next year.
So point your phone browser to m.youtube.com and check out the latest changes today! And if you've got any feedback for us on YouTube for Mobile, leave us a comment on this blog entry or post a video response to the video below, in which YouTube for Mobile team members Andy and Dwipal tell you about the new features:
The YouTube Team