Everyday on the CitizenTube channel (and @CitizenTube on Twitter), along with our curation partners @storyful, we look at how the top news stories are covered on YouTube. Each week we post a weekly recap of the top news stories of the week, as seen through the lens of both citizen-reported footage and professional news coverage.
- We saw marriage equality activists celebrate as Barack Obama became the first sitting US President to announce his support for same-sex marriage.
- We witnessed a double bombing at rush hour in Damascus just days after Syria held its first parliamentary election for half a century.
- We watched people worldwide turning their eyes to the sky for the supermoon phenomenon.
- We viewed a political shift in France as socialist candidate Francois Hollande emerged the victor of France's presidential election.
- We followed the presidential candidates on the US campaign trail, with the divisive Barack Obama choosing this week to officially launch his bid for re-election.
- We monitored clashes between anti-Putin protesters and police in Moscow in the hours leading up to Vladimir Putin's inauguration as president.
- We saw the Olympics torch lighting ceremony and over 175,000 people visit London's Olympic park to mark 2012 hours to go until the Games.
- We observed scenes that looked to come straight from a science fiction movie as twisters were spotted in different locations all over the world.
- We said a sad goodbye to author and illustrator Maurice Sendak, creator of children's favorite 'Where the Wild Things Are'.