Everyday on the CitizenTube channel (and @CitizenTube on Twitter), along with our curation partners @storyful, we look at how the top news stories are covered on YouTube. Each week we post a weekly recap of the top news stories of the week, as seen through the lens of both citizen-reported footage and professional news coverage.
- We monitored the worsening situation in Bahrain, as protests of increasing intensity were held in Manama and protesters were hit by tear gas.
- We watched the violence continue across Syria, as the head of the UN observer team described their mission as 'intractable'.
- We marked 100 days until the London Olympics by watching the British capital city prepare for the biggest sporting event on Earth.
- We witnessed a North Africa and the Middle East endure a week of turbulent weather.
- We followed the likely GOP presidential candidate, Mitt Romney, as he showed no signs of slowing down on the US campaign trail.
- We viewed NASA's space shuttle Discovery making its final journey, ferried atop a 747 from Florida to Washington DC.
- We observed a massive rally in Cairo's Tahrir Square on Friday against the candidacy of a Mubarak-era director of intelligence.
- We saw French presidential candidate François Hollande receive a boost in popularity as Nicolas Sarkozy was caught on camera slipping off his watch while shaking hands with supporters.
- We bade a sad farewell to Levon Helm, acclaimed drummer and singer with The Band who died this week aged 71, by remembering some of his classic performances.
Come back to see the news unfold on YouTube.
Olivia Ma, YouTube News & Politics, recently watched "FW: video of up close lighting strike".