Friday, February 17, 2012
Everyday on the CitizenTube channel (and @CitizenTube on Twitter), along with our curation partners @storyful, we look at how the top news stories are covered on YouTube. Each week we post a weekly recap of the top news stories of the week, as seen through the lens of both citizen-reported footage and professional news coverage.
- We paid tribute to the late Whitney Houston by compiling some of her all time classic performances.
- We observed Syrian towns such as Daraa, Homs and Hama receive heavy bombardment as fighting between military forces and rebels continued.
- We were saddened to hear of the death of New York Times Foreign Correspondent Anthony Shadid, who died this week while working in Syria.
- We saw parts of Athens burn as protests over austerity measures in Greece turned violent.
- We followed Mitt Romney as he got his campaign back on track by winning both the CPAC straw poll and the Maine caucuses.
- We witnessed anger in Israel as two of the country's envoys in India and Turkey were attacked with bombs.
- We viewed mourning in Honduras after a large fire claimed the lives of hundreds of inmates in a prison there.
- We saw North Korea hold extravagant celebrations to celebrate the 70th birthday of their late leader Kim Jong-il.
- We watched Bahrain police use tear gas to disperse large crowds marching towards a historic landmark.
- We monitored the progress of Madagascar-bound Cyclone Giovanni with the help of a schoolboy reporter named John.
- Finally, we gave into 'Linsanity' as NBA star Jeremy Lin's popularity exploded worldwide after he hit a last-second 3-pointer to win a game for the New York Knicks.
Come back next week to see the news unfold on YouTube.
Olivia Ma, YouTube News and Politics, recently watched "Kobe Bryant, meet Jeremy Lin -- Rough Cuts".